Google
 

FOOD & NUTRITION

Title : How much nutrients are lost while cooking vegetables

From: Kalpana
Question:
I would like to know how much nutrients are lost while cooking vegetables

Ans: Nutrients lost during cooking vegetables will depend on the method of cooking. Baking, grilling or broiling there is not much of loss of nutrients. But in boiling and stewing nutrients are lost. But some nutrients like vitamin C are lost in all types of cooking.


Title : What are the benefits of taking a glass of honey, lime juice and water early in the morning?

From: Praveen
Question:
What are the benefits of taking a glass of honey, lime juice and water early in the morning? (1 tbsp. honey + 1 tbsp. lime juice + water) Are there any negative effects of doing this every day?

Ans: Medicinal properties of honey are known. Lime is a good source of vitamin C. There is no harm in taking one spoon of fresh honey mixed with the juice of half a lemon in a glass of lukewarm water first thing in the morning. It is very effective for constipation, hyperacidity and obesity. Honey also provides energy.


Title : Balanced meal from south Indian Vegetarian meal habits.

From: Rama
Question:
How can I get a balanced meal from south Indian Vegetarian meal habits. What is the major deficiency in this meal, how can I reduce it? Drinking whole milk is good or Bad? Is whole milk Good or fat free? What are the effects of using a Microwave?

Ans: South Indian vegetarian meal is pretty balanced. Try to avoid too much of coconut in the preparation. If you are free from all health problems there is no harm in taking whole milk that contains 3.5 - 4 % fat. In microwave cooking the flavour and nutritive value of vegetables are good in comparison with other methods of cooking.


Title :What Soya products are available in India

From: Venkatesh
Question:
What Soya products are available in India (nutrinuggets etc) contain, and how they are made - this information will be useful to Indian readers.

Ans: Nutrinuggets, Soya granules are available in the grocery shops. You can use nutrinuggets and Soya granules in pulao, curry, cutlets etc. some soybean recipes link was given in my article. Soya milk, tofu, soya flour are also available in India.


Title : Is urad dal flour suitable for gluten free diet

From: Alan
Questions:
Can you tell me what urad flour is? Is it suitable for people on a gluten free diet? If, so, where can I get it and how much does it cost? Thanks.

Ans: Urad flour is nothing but made from black gram pulses. It will be available in all grocery shops. If the flour is not available you can grind the pulse and make flour. Yes, it is suitable for gluten free diet. It costs RS 30 - 40 per kg in India.


Title : Usage of Gota Kola

From: Mina
Question:
I have a question regarding the herb. Gota Kola. The usage of it as a supplement and cosmetic purpose.

Ans: Gota kola is claiming to be a blood purifier. It also helps to dry excess moisture and remove excess fat where toxins are retained. It is also a cooling herb that is used to reduce or prevent fevers.


Title : Is consumption of Spirulina and multivitamin tablet daily harmful

From: Ketan
Question:
I give my son Spirulina (02 Capsules) and a multivitamin tablet daily. This is to overcome the lack of vegetables in his diet (Actually he hates it). Is it correct? I hope that it does not do any harm to him in the long run. Kindly advice us to how to make him eat 'Vegetables'. Comment on the Spirulina and Multi-vitamin factor.

Ans: Spirulina is not harmful. It is good source of vitamin B12. Actually he should be encouraged to eat vegetables and fruits and not supplementing multivitamin. Change the preparation of the vegetable. You must add vegetables to all his favourite foods. Please refer my article on diet for children. His diet is very poor. No need to restrict on any foods at this age. Include at least 2 glasses of full fat milk and protein rich foods like pulses, egg and animal products, to be given for both meals. Give him seasonal fruits, which will build his immunity.


Title :Does drinking soyamilk everyday causes impotency in men

From: Sharada
Question:
I have heard that drinking soyamilk on a daily basis causes impotency in men and some reproductive abnormalities in women. Is it true? It's hard for me to believe the above. I do use soybean in one or two dishes and my husband and me love it.

Ans: Even though soya bean is a good source of natural estrogen, taken in normal amounts will not cause impotency but some studies prove iron absorption is decreased on a soybean diet compared to the diet of egg albumin or casein of milk. It can also rarely cause conditions like soya milk goitre and Chinese restaurant syndrome. Eating substantial amounts of soybeans and soybean products has been linked to a lower incidence of breast cancer in Japanese women, and in Japanese men, lower mortality from prostate cancer.


Title :Which is the healthiest cooking oil

From: Anu
Question:
I wanted to know the solutions for the problems like dandruff (which is found not only in the scalp but around the eyes & eyebrows also-- because of this I am loosing my eye lashes & my long hair.), greying hair (for which I use henna once in 15 days). Pimple & boil (Kannada -Kuru) most of the times on the butts etc, that too when the period time nears. Even though I take bit food morning I feel filled whole day. (Is it because I am a housewife with not much work to do)? Because of all these I feel too depressed. And also I wanted to know that - 1) Is it true that we should not use the curd with hot rice. (my hubby has this habit). If it is so can I use the curd for recipes which require to heat the same with vegetables. 2) Is it true that a pregnant woman should not watch T.V?

Ans: Anu, there is no need to get worked up. You have only minor problems.

  • For dandruff, food rich in zinc and essential fatty acids are required. These nutrient rich foods are shellfish, red meat, pumpkinseeds, vegetable oils, nuts and oily fishes like sardine mackerel etc.
  • For greying of hair, diet is not going to help much. Protein rich foods are good for hair. All the above mentioned

Title : Feel hungry at odd times especially at mid-night

From: Reena
Question: Though I eat in sufficient quantities why do I tend to feel hungry at odd times, especially in the middle of the night?

Ans: The dinner what you are having is easily digestible. Take chapathi instead of rice. Increase your intake of vegetable. Have bananas at bedtime. Avoid spices.


Title : Can curd be substitute for milk

From: Vidhya
Question:
My daughter is 4 years of age. She does not drink milk (plain, as well as in the form of any beverage). She prefers curd. Does it full fill the nutritive content of milk? What is the substitute?

Ans: If your daughter does not like milk don't worry. Milk can be given in the form of curd, cheese, and paneer. Cheese and paneer will provide more calcium, protein and fat than milk.


Title : How to cut down calories at the same time control acidity

From: Rajani
Question:
I want to reduce my weight and at the same time I feel very hungry due this acidity. Hunger increase when the periods are nearing and during periods I feel very tired and suffer from nausea during period. Bleeding is more than usual as I have the copper T inserted. Please let me know how I can cut down on my calories and at the same time control acidity. I'm also planning for the second baby. What is your advice? Should I go for it or no? My first pregnancy was a bad experience. In the first trimester I had lot of nausea and vomiting. Second trimester was smooth but during the 3rd I became hypertensive. The BP did not come under control and led to eclampsia. The result of which I had to operated in the 32nd week. Is it due to over weight? History is that my mother was also hypertensive and so also my sister during pregnancy. But was under control. Looking forward to your advice.

Ans: Nausea and vomiting during first trimester is just normal. My advice is that you must loose about 5kg before you plan for your next pregnancy which can be easily achieved in 1 1/2 months time. Refer to my sample menu for weight loss diets and follow these simple tips like include plenty of melons, papaya, and citrus fruits in your diet. Among vegetables green leafy should be included thrice a week. Reduce your rice and chapathi quantity. Drink 10 glasses of water. Go for brisk walking every day for half and hour. Try to practise some kinds of meditation. Consult your doctor in advance when you decide to have second child. Hypertension during pregnancy is not preventable, but complications are essentially preventable by controlling BP. Have regular check up during pregnancy and follow the medication strictly as advised by your doctor. As such problems during second pregnancy is generally much milder and less frequent compare to the first time.


Title : Can oil be use for frying over and over again

From: Susan
Question:
I read in your answer to one query that we should not use the oil used for frying over and over again and can use it 2-3 times if its not burnt. Is it possible? Whenever we have to fry batata wada or any such snack, we have to use a lot of oil for deep-frying and as per your statement we should not use that oil again as it might cause cancer. What can we do with such a lot of oil, specially in India I don't think it would be possible for everyone to throw away the oil used for frying snacks every time. Can you please suggest something for this or have I misunderstood the statement, please clear this as now I am really frightened to use the oil I have kept aside for frying papads and snacks. I have been using that oil since months, I never throw it after one-two uses, in fact, when the quantity of oil reduces, I just add fresh oil in it. I am now confused?

Ans: Yes, if we use the used oil again and again it becomes carcinogenic. Only thing which can be done is use oil as required and never add fresh oil to the fried oil. The left over oil can be used in other preparations and not reused for frying. I can not say exactly how many time you can use oil for frying, in general it is better to avoid using the oil once the colour changes.


Title : Is vegetarian better than non-veg.

From: Soumya
Question:
Is vegetarian better than non-veg. Is milk poison. Tell the truth for once & for all

Ans: Vegetarian and non-vegetarian have got their own advantages and disadvantages. If you combine the foods in proportion both are nutritious. Milk is not a poison. It has good quality protein, vitamins, calcium, phosphorous, fat, and potassium.


Title : Is it harmful to take 2 glasses of orange juice

From: Sapna
Question:
I started this diet recently. Am I eating more or do I have to reduce intake? Can I have 2 glasses of orange juice? Can you tell me good diet if the above diet is not good?

Ans: Sapna, if you are following this diet to loose weight then your intake is more. But if you want to maintain your weight then it is fine. No harm in taking two glasses of orange juice but it is better to have whole orange since then you will get fibre also from it. Try to include wheat products in your diet.


Title : How to control intake of salt and saturated fat

From: Bhatia
Question:
Doctor has diagnosed me with slight high blood pressure and as I am very young, he advised me to be to reduce my salt intake to manage my blood pressure and prevent it in future. Please advise me how can I control my salt intake and saturated fat intake.

Ans: Avoid baking powder and soda in all the preparations. Avoid salty items, chips, pickles, namkeen, pappad, canned and tinned foodstuff, butter, cheese, sea fish, and dried fish, which contains salt. For cooking use maximum 1teaspoon salt should be used per day in foods. Increase fibre in the diet in the form of cereals, vegetables and fruits. Saturated fat like coconut, butter, cream, shellfish and meat especially organ meat should be avoided.


Title : Effects of consuming cardamom everyday

From: Niki
Question:
My question is I am very fond of cardamom seeds and have been chewing them constantly after every meal and 1st thing when I get up I usually have a 1or 2 tsp. I have been eaten them for 2-3yrs. I'm experiencing some memory loss and was wondering whether they have any impact if a person eats and excessive amount. Please write the benefits as well as the not so called benefits of having cardamom seeds.

Ans: Cardamom has a carminative action and its tincture forms an important ingredient of a carminative mixture. The aromatic flavour in cardamom is a breath freshener. Excessive use of cardamom at times implicated to cause impotency but no scientific study available.

 

Title :How to avoid Ulcer Problem?

From: Sequeira
Question: I have problems with symptoms of ulcer, any suggestions on what food to eat and avoid and for how long. Many thanks.

Ans: Regular hours of breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks or milk during midmorning afternoon and bedtime are advised. Caffeine increases gastric acid and pepsin secretions. There fore, intake of tea or coffee is restricted to 2 cups daily. Acid beverages stimulate pepsin secretion. During the acute stage of ulcer citrus fruits, pineapple, grape, and carbonated beverages should be excluded. Sour foods, course vegetables, very hot and very cold foods should be best avoided. Banana is very good for ulcer patients.


Title : Food with low glycaemic index

From: LK GIROTI
Question:
I would like to know the nutritional value of Indian foods , for eg. the amount of protien, carb fat content of foods . If there is a book you could refer

Ans: There are lots of books available in this subject. Food and nutrition by Dr M. Swaminathan is a very simple and easy to understand.


Title : What is the better way to use Ragi

From:Ilajee
Question:
I prepare ragi porridge for my son by soaking ragi overnight and grinding it, sifting the covering and then cooking with milk. Is there a better way? Shall I use the powder available in the market? Or shall I dry- grind the ragi at home? Will it harm the baby if the ground covering of ragi goes in the porridge?

Ans: You can clean, wash and dry the ragi and grind it and later you can sieve it in thin muslin cloth. Since your baby is only 5 months old it is better to sieve it. After one year there is no need to sieve it. You can also use the readymade powder of a good company available in the market.


Title : Is it harmful to chew cardamom (1 or 2) in a day

From: Ram
Question:
I have the habit of chewing cardamom at least 1 or 2 in a day. Is it harmful for my body?

Ans: Chewing one or two cardamom in a day is not harmful. It is a breath freshener and carminative.


Title : Do basmati rice has less sugar content than long grain rice?

From: Seema
Question
: Do basmati rice has less sugar content than long grain rice?

Ans: The short grain and medium grain has less sugar content compared to long grain rice.

Title : Do sun dried bananas have more fat than normal ones

From: Sue
Question:
Sun dried bananas. Do they contain anymore fat than a regular banana?

Ans: Sun dried or dehydrated banana will have more concentration of fat than the normal banana. This is because drying take major portion of water away.


Title : Best way to cook the vegetables without loosing the nutrients?

From: Jaya
Question:
Can you please tell me the best way to cook the vegetables without loosing the nutrients? What about the microwave oven and the pressure cooker?

Ans: In microwave cooking the nutritive value of vegetables are better preserved in comparison with other methods of cooking. In pressure cooker there is a loss of vitamin C and other soluble vitamins and minerals.


Title : Is it safe to eat lots of Paneer? and also having gastric problem

From: Ravindra
Question:
Is it safe to eat lots of Paneer? I love it Also I have tremendous gastric problem and I get chest pain. Once I got ECG done but no problems. What should I do?

Ans: There is no harm in having paneer every day as such. Do not skip meals since you have gastric problem. Avoid spicy and fried foods. Do not eat large meals instead eat small and frequent meals. Regular walks or exercise will do wonders.

No comments:

Google